Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The 1st Post.....

ITS MY FIRST POST EVER!!!! Sorry for the shouting but I'm excited! I have wanted to try this for the longest time, now I am taking the plunge. It is bound to be an adventure, who's with me?

I'm LaLa, I am a wife to W, mom to son C age 11 and daughter K age 9. Some days I'm not sure if I will make it their adulthood but this time is fleeting, so smile, nod and breath, right? I am a crafter, there I have said it. Hello my name is LaLa and I am a crafter. I have always been a crafter, I grew up with a crafter (we went through silk flower making, ceramics, tole painting, quilling, a few others that I can't remember and there was always sewing/quilting) and I love it. I am lucky to have a husband that supports me and my hobbies (and there have been a few of them). I even made the center pieces for our wedding reception (I have a picture of the blister to prove it, love that glue gun!!)
I love to play with cake decorating, scrapbook/paper crafting, quilting (I do not sew clothes, could never get the sizing right, that was one session of home economics that I do not want to remember), and I have started to dabble in beading. I would also love to get into mix media art, I still find that alittle intimidating.

I have scrapbooked for the last 11 years. I do it to so that my family has more than just memories, so they have something that they can look at and relive those memories, so that I can have a creative outlet and its plain FUN. This is a canvas that I created for MIL (who does not fit the typical MIL role, I absolutely love that woman). It shows my husband, W, and my son, C, at the same age in their hockey uniforms, I also did one that showed my BIL and my nephew. There is so much you can do, say, express with scrapbooking. It is a wonderful outlet.

I have decorated cakes since college (not very well then, learned alot since then). Really got into that after our son was born, that first Winnie the Pooh cake with the pink shirt still makes me smile. (I'll have to see if I can hunt up that picture, maybe ;) I just did this one last weekend for a friend daughter, it turned out quite well, it really shimmered in the sunlight, that never comes through on the pictures.

I have been quilting for good for the last year. Before that I was a wannabe quilter, I had a block of the month (BOM) that I had started over 5 years ago. I would do a block, get upset because all my points weren't just right (of course the they had to be just right, never mind that I was a newbie) and back in the trunk it would go. (that is the martha coming out in me, it also comes out when I am decorating cakes also and I have to walk away before I screw them up) Finishing a quilt was on my "things I want to do in my lifetime" list (I was told it was morbid to call it "my before I die list", go figure). So last summer I got off my butt and asked my mom, she is a fabulous quilter, to help me do a quilt top while I was home (I'm from KY originally, now in PA) and we did it. So then I came home and finished my BOM quilt top. Since them I have one for C, done several runners, and a couple wall hangings. This is one of my wall hangings that I made for Christmas. It is quite the addiction. I love to go to the fabric store and look at all the eye candy. It just crys to come home with me so I have to give some a new home, right?

So those are just some examples of the types of things you will find on my creative table. I look forward to this adventure. Sorry about the pictures, I did not prepare or correct these pictures. I wanted to get this first post out there before I lost my nerve. I know that this got to be quite the book but I hope you come hang with me at my creative table. See ya!!

P.S. I'm very new to this blogging thing (I read alot of them) so bear with me while I figure this out, thanks. lala

P.S.S. Stop by tomorrow to see what I have been up too at my table, here is a sneak peak of my table and hands during the process. Gotta love it when the hands get inky!!!

4 comments:

  1. LaLa -- I am impressed with your blog and your talent. You go girl! :) Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats for taking the plunge my long-lost friend! I look forward to many more of your awesome work! I haven't seen much of it since the days of Inspired Treasures!!
    Stop by my blog some time and say "hey!"
    http://ourlittleinspirations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. uhhh, make that MUCH more of your work! LOL

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! This is so much fun to read! Julia & Julia have nothing on my LaLa & LoLa Girl! Can't wait to see my birthday present! I am so proud of you. Love you bunches & bunches..
    MIL

    ReplyDelete