Monday, April 19, 2010

Too Scared to Try?


What are you too scared to try? Have you every been too to intimidated to try something new? I think sometimes we let things or people intimidates us into not trying something new. I know that I have been in that position, MANY times.

I let it stop me from quilting for many years. I had a Block of the Month (BOM) that I had purchased that I kept putting off starting for a longest time. I would pull it out, do a block, not live up to my expectations, put it back in the trunk. It would live there for a while, then it would come out again, another block, back in the trunk it would go!! I would look on with envy when I would go to the quilt shows, or when I would come across a blog with beautiful quilts on it. I never noticed the mismatched points or the flaws, NEVER saw them, just saw the beautiful finished product and wished I could do it that too.
I would do the same thing when I would decorate cakes. I would have to force myself to step away from the cake before I screwed them up. And in the end, no one saw the flaws that I saw when I looked at those cakes.
I have found that YOU have to be BRAVE and STEP OUT of yourself and JUST DO IT!!!! (now where did that come from?) not be a scary cat as my great niece would say. I did just that last summer and created my first quilt. Now my mom will tell you, I had to re-cut some blocks because I cut them wrong, I ripped more seams then I sewed in some sessions but it got done. The blocks don't all line up, but who cares? I don't, it looks beautiful on our bed. I have since gone on too make another one for my son ( I can find the mistakes, but he has no clue) and I have finished that BOM and it is just waiting to be quilted. MY seam ripper is my friend, sometimes I have a better relationship with it than I do with my sewing machine. I know that on every sewing project I have done so far there has been at least one seam that has had to be ripped out. Those few flaws are what makes them unique. When I do paper crafting, Undo is my favorite product. There are going to be mistakes, what you learn from those mistakes is what makes you grow as a person, creatively that is good.


As Kins and I have started this journey we knew we would have to face challenges and things we have never done before. For me that is intimidating. We have learned alot, how to set bindings, how to bead, what works and what doesn't. We have challenged each other and supported each other in taking that step outside of our comfort zone. I have found a great cheerleader in Kins and I am gratefully for her. I only hope she feels that same way. She has challenged me (don't know if she knows that) to step outside my comfort zone and try new things. Things that I have always thought would be hard, I am find out are really not. Things she has never done (setting grommets) she is trying. (had such fun pounding those things in) I hope that we keep finding things to challenge us. What are you wanting to try? Step up and try!! Chances are you will learn something and have fun doing it too!!! I think I may just try that art quilt yet, maybe ;)

So what new and challenging thing is on your table this week? See you later, Lala

No comments:

Post a Comment